Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Johor wants to patent traditional apparel, music, dances, food: Can they?

Johor Youth, Sports, Culture and Heritage committee chairman Datuk Zulkunain Kamisan said Yayasan Warisan Johor (YWJ) has been tasked to undertake the patenting procedures of a traditional apparel, a traditional musical group, two cultural dances and a traditional dish as Johor's heritage. But I am not sure that they can.

From what I know about patent, the basic ingredient is novelty. If the subject of the patent are existing apparel, music group, dances, dish (food), they are no longer novel. On this basis, Johor is wasting their time. What they can do I believe is they can try to copyright them. I think Malaysia has a "lesser form" of patent. I think if something cannot be patented, I think they can try to register it as an Utility Innovation. Let's see.

No comments: